Monday, May 18, 2009

In a Jam...

My friend Cheryl brought me some rhubarb from her Mom {thanks}, so the time has come to make Rhubarb Jam. My sweet MIL Charlotte used to make this yummy freezer jam recipe and have it on hand when we visited. You can whip up some freezer jam in 30 minutes…or less.

Rhubarb Jam

5 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
3 - 5 cups white sugar (I use 3 cups)
1 (21 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
2 (3 ounce) package flavored gelatin mix (For this batch I used blackberry fusion but strawberry, cherry or raspberry are all good)


Combine the rhubarb, sugar and blueberry pie filling in a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 10 minutes longer. The rhubarb should be tender. Stir in dry gelatin mix until dissolved. Transfer to sterile jars or freezer tubs, and cool. Freeze any jam you don't intend to use right away. Freezer jam can be stored in the freezer for up to a year or in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.

I have enough rhubarb to make another batch of jam. I think I'll make Strawberry Rhubarb next time.


No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs