Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Audiobooks...

Yesterday I finished listening to The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain. 
Written as a novel, in first person, this is the story of the first wife of Ernest Hemmingway.  Hadely Richardson and Hem fell in love before he was  a famous author.  I found the book slow at first, but it picked up and as the marriage began to crumble I could not stop listening.  By the end I was clearly emotionally invested!

Some time ago I read Loving Frank.  I found these stories comparable in demonstrating the sacrifices the women made to support the artisits enormous but tender egos.  And like Loving Frank, The Paris Wife left me compelled to learn more about the complex characters.  I spent a couple hours searching the internet for news clips and pictures.
   
I chose this book because my father was a Senior English teacher and loved all things Hemmingway.  He also loved F. Scot Fitzgerald, a name dropped with many others in this book.   

Next up is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford.  This is a bookclub selection and although I have not been attending regularly, I like to read {listen} from their list.

I'd better put on my walking shoes, and my ipod and get out for my 10,000 steps. 

Have you read anything good lately?

No comments:

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs