Saturday, August 8, 2009

On the Road Again...

This has been one fun and busy summer!

With 4 trips from Indiana to Iowa, I don't have to ask myself where the summer has gone. Within 4 days of our return from the Iowa bike ride, I was on the road again to central Illinois. I picked up Mom and we headed to Wisconsin for our quilting retreat at the Homestead Cabin Retreat. But... not without a stop at my sister Jeanne's in Dubuque, Iowa and a quick trip to Galena.

Jeanne made dinner and this delish rhubarb dessert. She shared her recipe with me.

Rhubarb Delight

3 cups rhubarb (finely cut)
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tblsp melted butter
¾ cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Place rhubarb in a 9x13 inch pan.

Mix dough: The first cup of sugar, flour, baking powder, butter, milk, and vanilla. Pour over the top of the rhubarb, Sprinkle the second cup of sugar over the top of the dough. Pour the boiling water over the top. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Top with whipped topping or ice cream.

Jeanne added raspberries as a pretty garnish.


The next day before heading to Wisconsin, we had the opportunity to shop and lunch in Galena, IL with Jeanne and her friend Joanne.

Galena, IL is a lovely town rich in history. We visited many shops :: my favorites being Galena Garlic Company, Fiber Wild!, Galena Beads, Ink & Stamp, and the Wooden Wardrobe . Mom bought me a new piece of Polish Pottery at the Wooden Wardrobe. I think I got her hooked on a new thing to collect.

We also had lunch at Gobbie's Sports Pub Pizzeria. They served a basket of beer nuggets (fried dough balls) with marinara sauce like chip & salsa. Really, did I die and go to heaven???

Jeanne can make any visit fun but this was truly delightful. Thanks sista!

There is so much more to tell, but tomorrow is another day... we'll try to catch up then.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Mmmmm, looks yummy! Looks like you've been doing some fun traveling. LOVE that funny yarn sign!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs