Thursday, November 17, 2011

Retreating...

Last week I met my Iowa quilting friends for a 4 day retreat just outside of New Glarus, WI.  Boy did we have fun!

My friend Jackie is always teasing me about my quilting projects.  It seems I like squares... four patches... nine patches... square in a square... you get the idea.  Well Jackie is forever pointing this out to me {and she is right}.  To remedy my quilting pattern rut, I purchased 2 copies of Chopsticks by Jaybird Quilts.  I sent a copy to Jackie in August letting her know this would be my project for our fall retreat. 


I thought the "triangle in a triangle" theme would be fun and save me from being the butt of every joke.

Here is my quilt made out of a Denyse Schmidt's Picnic fabric line and a nice Bella Solid (from blog friend Anna's store, Thimbleanna). LOVE IT! 


Jackie chose Chez Moi's Hunky Dory.  Isn't that solid great!


While at Quilter's Compass in Monticello, Wisc, Theresa and I both purchased Kate Spain's Terrain for more Chopsticks.  Theresa chose the pink and purple colorway, while I chose orange and green {trying again to think out of my box... again}.


Theresa used her Mini Design Board {(tutorial by the super duper Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet}.  We made these as party favors for our quilt camp last July.


Diane purchased Basic Grey's Max & Whiskers for a Chopsticks of her own.


Jackie, cutting extraordinaire, cut all of our quilts out for us!  She is a*ma*zing.  We paid her off in Polish Pottery.


 IMPORTANT NOTE TO THIS PATTERN: 


The pattern calls for a 60 degree triangle ruler by Creative Grids.  Jackie had a 60 degree 12 inch ruler (not a Creative Grids ruler).  When she cut out her quilt and pieced her first few blocks they did not size up correctly.  The Creative Grids ruler is actually 12 1/2 inches.  Get the Creative Grids ruler (CGRT12560), and purchase it when you get the pattern.  I called a dozen quilt shops between Indy and New Glarus and found it at one shop in Rockford, Il - thank you Quilters Haven.  The pattern also provides templates. 


2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- it looks like you guys had a great time -- how fun to make the same pattern in many different fabrics. And thanks for the shout out -- I love seeing what you're doing with your fabric. Now...about that pink LOL!!!

gmajulie said...

It was great to see you in New Glarus. I love the pictures of all the Chopsticks quilt. They are sooooo cool! The pattern is on my wish list along with the ruler of course.

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs