Saturday, February 13, 2010

On a Mission...

The Rockin' Bobbins {my quilting group} have always tried to have a mission project to work on. We've made baby blankets for the pregnancy center, bed quilts for a new women's shelter, quilts for a children's home, quilts for soldiers, and jumper dresses to be delivered on mission trips.  {Last year I think Kathy & Jenny made the bulk of more than 150 dresses!}

After reading an article in the local paper, Kathy came up with the lovely idea to knit chemo caps to memorialize Dottie.  Not all the girls in the group are knitters so they've purchased Knifty Knitter round looms.  Kathy is using the loom and I think she has already knit more than a dozen caps.  She is a petite woman that puts her big heart into everything she does! 

I made a couple hats per the instructions given Kathy.  We are supposed to use Homespun by Lion Brand.  I found it very soft, the colors were pretty, but it split alot.

It left me looking for other alternatives so I searched the webI found this cute Marnie MacLean pattern for a Fun Flapper Hat.   I used some Bernat Soy from my stash - so soft.  And I had to rely on my mad {35 year old} 4-H skills to crochet the flower. 


I am working on another out of Cascade Pima Tencel from the shop {but stashed}.

I'd love to hear from people that have made or had a need for chemo caps.  I'd like to know what patterns and fibers you found best.   Advise me please! 

I'll be counting caps on my sidebar and jump starting this project during the season of Lent.

Cast on!

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

What a wonderful project. Love your pretty hats -- especially that last one! Happy Valentine's Day!

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs